Thursday, September 11, 2008

Which came first, inspiration or action?

"We should be taught not to wait for inspiration to start a thing. Action always generates inspiration. Inspiration seldom generates action." - Frank Tibolt

It's like who came first, the chicken or the egg. Does one actually affect the other? Or does the former pre-exist the other?

Can one think up a bright idea without a stimulus?

As I was reading Bo Sanchez's book on "7 Secrets to Real Freedom" that was the quote that struck me. Have I been waiting for that great inspiration to start living my life? When have I had my moments of inspiration?

I'm thinking of a car and the steering wheel ... is it easier to steer when the car is moving or at a stand still? Can we produce energy if inertia is at rest?

My greatest moments of inspiration usually occurred when I was observing people, if I happen to be in a jeep, watching people pass by, watching the world, walking, thinking, amidst a crowd, even at SM when the salesladies start filing in for closing time ... I often get my ideas when I'm in the middle of something and I have to stop what I'm doing to write or to act on that idea that I just got.

But sometimes, I just wait there ... sitting. Waiting for heaven to descend on earth. I'm not doing my part. I'm waiting for inspiration before acting. Like writing my book. It's been something I've wanted to do since forever. I've had many beginnings but I never really finished. My mind takes me off target and I lose heart and I wait for another burst of inspiration. But in reality, I could write about many things. I just need to sit down and collect my thoughts and find the courage to put down all that I'm thinking on paper without fear of what other people will say.

What about you? Are you waiting for inspiration to start acting?

1 comment:

ultradust@gmail.com said...

Hi, Saw that you mentioned "Bo Sanchez"(7 Secrets to Real Freedom) if so - you might be interested to reserve your Nov 28-29, 2009 for a chance to hear him live/see him/have your books signed at the Araneta Coliseum for the once in a lifetime event "Dream Big, Win Big".

It's a big learning event about "dreaming big in your life and using your core gifts to follow your dream". Yes it's a catholic event, there's mass and worship but there's also a lot of singing and dancing and comedy as well as the huge message on big dreams. See you or your friends there!
Thanks
Ana

Conference Details at http://www.kerygmaconference.com
Make sure you're subscribed to Bo's Blog and Newsletter: http://www.bosanchez.ph