Thursday, June 09, 2005

Passing of Dawn

It’s been a while since I last greeted dawn. It’s 5:37 a.m. and I’m still awake. I got home at 4 a.m. from my night shift and I got the most wonderful surprise at the office. I was given an ice cream and coke by a colleague and I got a long letter from a friend and teacher.

I have been confined to my desk job for the last year and I haven’t had the chance to see many sunrises or walk under the early sun.

As the horizon bursts into orange hues, I am inspired to write. The last great sunrise I experienced was atop a mountain of stones in the desert of Oman. I had camped with some friends and spent the night laughing uncontrollably.

Tonight was a similar occasion. I couldn’t wipe the smile from my face as I read my friend’s letter. We are separated by oceans yet he seems so near. And it seems that even in the six months of no communication, nothing has changed.

Several friends also went online and I caught up with them. How time really flies. But friendships have always defied time and distance.

The sun is reaching its day position and soon it will flood the earth with its light. Before that, I need to catch my sleep. It might run away and I might have to stay awake yet another day.

No comments: